One question that I get a lot is "How do I become more successful on You Tube" I have never really addressed this question and instead of making a video I thought I would do a blog post! Let me just say first and foremost, these are just TIPS. They are not the end all for becoming a success! There is a lot of luck involved and TONS of hard work! The number one thing you should remember is.... None of us became a success over night. All the high vloggers you see on You tube have been working at it for 3-4 years! It's definitely something you have to be passionate about and its definitely something you have to work for! Be patient! :)
1) Work hard and be patient! Success doesn't come over night.
2) Invest in a good camera.
- This is important if you really want a high end channel and if you want your videos to be good! The beauty community is completely saturated with videos now. If someone comes across a really bad quality video of a smokey eye, then most likely they are going to move on to the next high quality one. Lucky for me, it wasn't so much like this when I started... but now the better quality videos are the ones people watch!
3) Be yourself, but show your personality!
- Even if you are the shyest person in the world... I know you have a little energy and passion inside you! :) I am a very very shy person but for some reason the camera brings out my talkative side! People naturally don't want to listen to a monotoneperson. If the person they are watching is excited then they feel excited as well! It also really helps if you are passionate about what you are talking about! Don't be afraid to mess up here and there.... slip up on words... or even make a couple jokes. Also, talk a little bit faster than normal. I find people like it when you get to the point. Keep away from the long pauses... ummmmms and get to the POINT! :)
- Not only that, but you want to be yourself!! There are so many people in this world with so many different personalities and interests... people WILL like you! People can feel fake qualities coming from someone. Be you, do you and don't be afraid of it! Yes, there are hate forums and mean mean people out there, so when you start your channel be aware that there may be some mean comments headed your way. Just remember... its better to be hated for being who you are you are, than loved for being someone your not.
4) Enter video contests!
- I remember when I first started out on You tube I entered a spring hairstyles video contest. I didn't think anyone would want to watch my little hair video, but because it was one of the first video responses.... TONS of people watched it, which in turn gave me a lot of subscribers! That video is still one of my most popular! There are so many fun contests that bigger vloggers have on their channels and its the perfect opportunity to show your talent!
5) Make friends and network!
- When I startedI will be honest, I didn't think I would really be making many friends on You tube. I thought it was just a fun hobby that I would do. It turned out that all of the other girls making videos were JUST AS passionate about this stuff as me, and I felt I could relate! Most of them I could see myself being best friends with in real life! Now I find me and a bunch of girls tweeting each other and doing collab videos together! A lot of them are even nice enough to retweet a vid of mine out of no where! Don't be afraid to make You tube relationships! Its a lot of fun!
6) Find good Lighting and learn your camera settings
- This is a major tip that is really important! I have had the hardest time in the past finding good lighting... but the best place is right in front of a window in natural sunlight!! I have found that the closer I am to the window the better! It makes the colors more crisp and bright. You also want to learn the settings on your camera. A lot of times I have to adjust the exposure so its not so bright.
7) Be innovative and Creative!
- Okay, I will admit! This was a lot easier when I started! Its almost impossible to think of something that hasn't already been done... twice. :-P But try your best to think of something new and creative! People don't like to see the same thing over and over again. If you see 2 vloggers do a fishtail braid... especially if they are bigger... then you might want to skip that video all together. Play with your hair when you are bored and have nothing to do and try makeup techniques that you never normally would. Think TOTALLY out of the box! This is the best way to think of new ideas! Its really important to catch peoples attention with something new and unique!
8) Find a good editing software and learn it well!
- For PCs the best editor I have found is Pinnacle Studio. I use a Sony handy cam which films in AVCHD. The only editor that will support that well is pinnacle studio... plus its very user friendly if you are a little unsavy when it comes to technology! If you are using a MAC.... Imovie is the way to go and what most vloggers seem to use.
9) NO COPYRIGHT!
- I made this mistake big time when I first started. I didn't fully understand the whole copyright issue and used a lot of music that I didn't have a license for! I ended up having to delete like 90% of my videos when I applied for partner. They can also mark your channel for copyright infringement.... 3 strikes and your out. www.audiojungle.com is a great place to get music and it's license.
10) Create a Series
- You often times see vloggers creating a video series. Meaning combining videos into title categories. For example: Style Segments, Looks for Less, Celebrity Copy Cat.... etc. Be creative when thinking up these categories for your videos. This way... when someone types in "Look for less" Your videos will be the first to come up. BUT you want to think of something that no one else has done and also something that you think will be searched frequently.
11) Do Collabs
This is probably my best tip out of all of them! You can do collabs with people to get your name out there... or what some people do is collab contests! Now, this is kind of the sneaky way to do it... but it works! Usually for collab contests, you tell people that they have to be subscribed to all channels involved to enter. I personally prefer to do collabs without contests! This is a good way to show off what you do so that people subscribe just because they like what they see. Doing it this way works well because your views will go up because the people subscribing are genuinly interested!
I hope these tips help you become more successful on youtube! These are some things that I have learned over the years!! If you have anymore questions for me you always know where to find me!! Thanks for all the support on my youtube and website!